The details: Amy’s Resume
Creating compelling stories and multi-platform content
Objective: Accomplished journalist with experience in sports and fitness seeking opportunities to tell the stories of people, organizations and brands with a passion for athletics and wellness.
Award-winning journalist: Won an Associated Press Sports Editors national Top 10 award for project in 2015. Conceptualized, researched and wrote a series for The Buffalo News on the status of local Division I college hockey and what would be required to become perennial contenders on the national stage.
Respected teacher: Created a sports communication class first implemented in the sports management major at Niagara University. Conducted wellness events and presentations for women of all ages and athletic abilities.
Areas of Expertise
- Creating content for multiple platforms
- Presenting information that is accessible to a large, general audience
- Interviewing and researching
- Developing educational opportunities
The Buffalo News, 1999-present
Sports reporter. Reported on professional and amateur events in Western New York including breaking news, human interest stories and analysis pieces. Created ways to go beyond the daily reports to provide depth in coverage, including international events, featuring social media and multi-platform story telling.
Niagara University, 2007-2014
Developed the sport communication course for the sports management major along with an elective course Gender in Sport.
D’Youville College, 2009-2011
Created a sport media class taught in the Exercise Sport Science department
The Olean Times Herald, 1995-1999
General assignment reporter/sports reporter
Covered local government and culture before becoming the first full-time female sports writer at the paper.
Tough Women Wear Pink (athleticism and femininity)
Presented at: Daemen College in-service and lifeskill workshop, Immaculata High School, Holy Angels Academy, Roycroft Inn
F-I-G-H-T! The implications of cheerleaders fighting for varsity status on college campuses
Presented at: Scholarly Conference on College Sport at the College Sport Research Institute, University at North Carolina
University at Buffalo
Masters of Arts in Humanities, 2006
Concentrations: Women’s Studies, Sociology
Thesis: “Real Athletes Wear Glitter: Articulating a Third Wave Sensibility Through Cheerleading, Femininity and Athletics”
St. Bonaventure University
Bachelor’s in Journalism/Mass Communication, 1995
Minor: Political Science
Awards and Honors
- Associated Press Sports Editors Top 10 Projects for series “Why Not Us?” (2015)
- John A. Domino Award, St. Bonaventure, for Excellence in the Field of Sports Journalism (2013)
- University at Buffalo Recognition Award, National Girls and Women in Sports Day (2011)
- Bonaventure University Distinguished Achievement Award, National Girls and Women in Sports Day (2003)
- Buffalo State College Ralph G. Hubble Award for outstanding reporting of college athletics (2003)
Association of Women in Sports Media (past president)